Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ARTIST: Maira Kalman

From the 2005 edition of Strunk and White's The Elements of Style

I was reading the new issue of O (October issue), which is great by the way and on page 62, under Live Your Best Life is an article about Maira Kalman.  I don't know if I have been living under a rock or what but I can't remember having come across her work before. I know I must have. Regardless.  I was instantly taken by her work.


And if you have been following along here, well you know that when I get excited about an artist I love to share.



She works in gouache. She writes. Paints New Yorker covers. She illustrates books. According to O, there is a retrospective of her art in San Francisco until the end of October. Then it si coming to LA and then to NY. I LOVE her color sense and her sense of whimsy and style.




To find out more:
Her site: http://www.mairakalman.com/home.html
Her talk on TED: http://www.ted.com/talks/maira_kalman_the_illustrated_woman.html
An interview on Barnes and Noble: http://media.barnesandnoble.com/?&fr_story=d290751d18b56bf0ae46a4a8ed5542c6edb4ef7a

P.S. If you have the time. DO LISTEN to these. So many good points she made.  Keep working, don't think while creating.

1 comment:

AG Ambroult said...

I love discovering new artists, too, so thanks for passing them along to us. And, apparently, i have been under that same rock with you, because I didn't know about her either. Love at style, kind of folksy and graphic at the same time.