Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kindness and a Oven Mitt

I am so excited to talk about this today. It is something small but still SO significant. Kindness.

Just plain old good will to others.

I admit it I am a sensitive person. I don't state it as a character flaw either.  It makes me so sad when I see others being unkind. My little guy has told me of bigger kids being mean to him on the bus. This bothers me.
Of course I am not perfect. I am not always Miss sunshine. I have my cranky days. I am human.

I know there is so much kindness evidenced in this great art/craft blogging community. So many fellow bloggers are generous and uplifting to others. I LOVE it. And I know off line there is kindness.

Still I think we can ALL try and make an effort to be more kind on line and in person. Small things. A smile. Holding the door for someone. Letting that driver into the lane even when you are in a rush. Just being aware.
Perhaps when you hold that door open or pay a compliment, that could change that persons energy for the day and they then in turn are more kind to another. A big chain effect. You feel good for being kind and they feel good because you were kind to them.

Random acts of kindness (love these), intentional acts. They are all good. 

Way, way back around Memorial Day I was with my mom and godmother. My godmother mentioned that her daughter likes to buy herself small things that she can open when the day didn't go so well.

You know the kind of day. The kids were up all night (and so were you), you got into an argument, your computer crashed. Etc. We all have them. 

So I immediately thought that was a wonderful idea but why not do one for another person so that each gift could be uplifting AND a surprise! Who doesn't love surprises!

I was so excited to begin creating a bag full of small tokens to lift someone up when they are feeling down.

So it has taken me all summer but I created two!

I have things in each bag. Small things. Thoughtful things. Books. Candy. Lotions. Gift cards. Soaps.
Things that just may make the day a little brighter.


I am going to include a sentiment in each gift.

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
Lao Tzu

Someone is going to get the oven mitt I created. And before you ask, the stitches are supposed to be asymmetrical. This project is in Denyse Schmidt Quilts.

And while I was SO proud that I actually sewed a "something" I can't say I am in love with sewing yet.

Back to kindness. I think it would be so GREAT if everyone received or made for themselves a small bag of goodies to lift you up when you are down.  Don't you think?

I would love to hear your thoughts/ideas on kindness.

There are lots of resources out there for ideas too!


http://kindovermatter.blogspot.com/ I really love this blog! There are tons of kindness freebies. They do the kindness thing so well.

http://www.actsofkindness.org/

I loved this book: http://www.doonenicething.com/

9 comments:

Concetta said...

Dana, this is the most beautiful post and a gorgeous idea (Christmas pressies?). You are a precious soul. And so strange because today I re-read an old post of mine (I was intrigued about what I said a year ago!) and guess what the themes was? http://glitteringshards.blogspot.com/2009/11/life-well-lived.html cxx

Beverley Baird said...

What a fantastic idea! I can so see carrying around asmall bag, especiallyat work, and giving someone a little something if they seemed down. Thanks for a great idea! I will let youknow how I get on with it!
Your post will be one of those I pass on!

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet dana, this is a really beautiful idea and what a wonderful way to spread around love and kindness. This would make such a precious christmas gifts! You are sooo sweet, loving and talented. I love your cute mitt...it's perfectly made and so beautiful. :) I have a wooden box where i keep all the small little pretty things and notes of love and encouragement. Some days when things is looking to nice..i would open it up and revisit all the little things that i kept in it. They always make me smile. Thanks so much for writing this beautiful piece today. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

Regina said...

Beautiful post Dana. I work at a hospital where tempers rise because of an abrasive approach by a doctor or nurse. It is truly amazing how you can turn things around with just a bit of kindness. There was a women at the hospital who had just given birth and was just having everything go wrong. Because of it, she became very difficult to take care of. I was warned about this before entering her room and went in anyway. I was kind to her and gave her permission to be upset. Then I helped her feed her baby despite her continued agry tone. Finally she said to me, "I am going to apologize to you, but it's only because you are being so freaking nice." We laughed and she was kind to everyone who entered her room after that.

Have you heard of 29gifts.org? A women struggling with MS was told to give 1 gift per day for 29 days and her symptoms decreased and really great things started happening to her. It's an amazing story --there is a book about it. I think you would like it.

Unknown said...

How lovely and thoughtful! I'm a big fan of kindness. I hate any kind unkindness with a passion , the thoguht of anyone ever being unkind to my son make me feel rather sad. I wish I could shelter him from all but kindness!

Hanna said...

Hi there. I am your newest follower from the blog hop. Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Louise Gale "Dream-Inspire-Create" said...

So wonderful, i really enjoyed reading this post. I think so many people are rushing around in their "busy lives" that they just dont take time to be nice, it doesnt take much does it and for me, always makes my day so much more enjoyable. I love this idea sweetie and you are such a wonderful soul.... we must meet up soon but im fearing the holiday season is soon to start going crazy. Thanks again for this lovely post xxx

Mousy Brown said...

I love this Dana! I truly believe in random acts of kindness - little things that can make someones day. Can't wait to here more about what you get up to and I'm off to explore those links :D

AG Ambroult said...

SUCH a cool concept. Wouldn't that be so nice? I'd love to do that...just to have some surprises on hand for whoever needs one. And you are so right about how online we are all part of this giving, inspiring, loving community. The real world is the same too, but it's just not always so easy to make connections as adults, or find people who share the same interests.